Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wandering Midland Ontario - Bay Street Books


So, through the magic of Facebook, a girlfriend introduced me to a new bookstore. Bay Street Books is on Bay Street, tucked in behind "The School Bus Surf Shop" (which is on King). The first time I walked in I was under the impression that it was a tiny 8 x 8 meter room - Until Jim popped out from an almost hidden doorway to say "Hi!"


The place is HUGE, a big secret hideout full of literal goodness. Every corner in this place is just PACKED, and I suggest if you have some place you have to be at all the day you visit, that you bring a watch - because it's very easy to lose track of time in there.

Jim has the sections marked off by subject, so if there's a particular subject you're drawn towards, it's a little easier to find (and if you're having trouble locating what you're looking for, Jim can help you locate it.)

I tried to write down all the different sections they've marked down there, and the list is huge - Medical health, true crime, mystery detective, horror, suspense, spirit guides, ESP, psychic, conspiracy, dreams, angiques, poetry, naval, classics, history, Gardening, Cooking, First Nations, sports, philosophy, psychology... but it goes on and on! When I took my sweetheart in on the weekend, I turned to him and said:
"Look, Honey! We don't need Google anymore!!"



This kids section is varied - A great selection of classical kids books, and a good mixture of more modern books, on a shelf close to the floor for the little ones to browse!


An amazing art section, and racks full of comics. SO much inspiration!




The Wall of Vinyl!! Just when I was hyperventalating from the book-whelm, I turn to see the vinyl - I really didn't want to tell anyone about this, as I wanted it all to myself! My eyeballs rolled around in my head when I saw it. In MILK crates, no less. Does it get any yummier? While browsing, I noted he had The Dock FM playing, our local radio station, which was the PERFECT soundtrack for wandering around in the store!


A LOT Star Trek books and memorabilia - again. Drooool.

Right now, they accept cash for payment, however Jim is up for trades or barter, so check your shelves for any old books you're don't need anymore. Fairly soon, BayStreetBooks.com will be set up with PayPal, and will have titles available online for purchase. In the mean time, if there's a title you're looking for, you can send him an email request to : oldfortbooks@live.com

Jim only has half of his stock in the store, and new titles are coming in every week. If he doesn't have it this week, it might show up the next. He let me know his collection is approximately 50,000... although there may be more.

Bay Street Books is open every day from 11am to 4, although you might catch them by chance before or after those hours. When the weather warms up more, their patio is going to be open for people to sit and read and enjoy the sun, too!

Be sure to pop in on lunch break, or when you have a spare moment. There's a map on their website if you're unsure about the location.

Bring Cash.

Tell them Lori sent you ;)









2 comments:

Stef said...

I am so excited! I love old book stores. Thanks for the update.

Karen said...

I love this store! I live in Manitoba now, but my parents have a cottage out near Balm Beach. We discovered this store a couple of years ago and whenever I actually get to the cottage, I make a special trip to Midland just to go in this store!