- I dug out the side garden ... which was a disaster, since I forgot to cover it last fall.
- I clipped a tonne of pokey cedar hedge fingerlets that were reaching into the side garden area.
- I chopped off a few branches of trees that were also attempting to infiltrate the air space above the side garden. (Right around the 4.5 foot mark - just high enough to smack me in the face... GONE. I totally apologized as I clipped them.)
- Covered the bit of the side yard that is overrun with this HORRIBLE plant stuff that has choked out my little wild strawberry plants.
- Made a creative sculpture with random bits of junk, to try to block the view of my side yard from the poor neighbours. Yes, I"M that neighbour. The side of the house is always a disaster. BUT!
- I also cleaned out the side of the house, making a nice little sitting area for us.
- I took breaks from the garden to wash and hang sheets and laundry.
Now,.... I also decided that this year, I am organized enough to try flowers. Generally, I do not grow flowers, because my green thumb thinks they are useless... I cannot eat them, therefore they get no respect. This year, I have dug out a pile of perennials and gifted seeds, and am going to give them a round. Because they are part of my plan to hide the side yard....
I started RESEARCHING all of the seeds I have from 4 years ago (perennials that I purchased and attempted to plant but nothing ever came of anything.)... because I don't know what any of the names mean, or what the flowers will look like... well.. Google told me that one of the things I bought and planted, looks like THIS:
THIS is the HORRIBLE sh*t that I am TOTALLY pissed about now WORKING to kill. Because it killed my strawberries first.
Many Many Swears.
Now, the leaves on the one that is taking over my side yard has leaves that look a little different.... but I'm pretty sure it's EXACTLY what I have. I would have planted it underneath the maple tree, uh, 4 years ago, hoping to fill in the naked naked base of the tree... nothing ever grew there, so I figured that was that.
Anyway... These are the rest of the plants that I've got - some for the pots that are going to hide my shed, and some for my back yard. There's a whole bunch of problem places back there.
Mutha *swear swear* German Speedwell. Maybe I'll plant it at the road. RIGHT at the road. Usually only dandilions will grow there anyway.
Purple Columbine. (I have some red in the front box, and I managed not to kill it. So, this should work!)
I also have some Morning Glorys, and something marked on the envelope as "purple flowers." The seeds I saved from something I bought at a store a few years ago.
Ok, big long one today... because I LOVE DIRTS!