Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Farewell, Fabricland!!!


Our local Fabricland is closing. We live in a pretty small town, and aside from the little crafting isle at Walmart, and the small selection of art supplies at the toy store downtown, we're pretty much S.O.L. for supplies. I think the closest fabric supply is about an hour away, when it goes. From what I understand, the Mall won't renew the store's lease, and the store isn't sure it wants to reopen elsewhere in town.

Last night, my beloved sat out on the bench reading a book, while I browsed around the store. I DO have an AWFUL lot of fabric already, although the clearance sales were very tempting. I did however grab a handful of ribbon spools at .10 cents each (crafting size) and some groovy and cute button packs at 3 for .99 cents. I ALSO grabbed 2 "grab bags"... at $2 a bag. Look what I got!



A couple of glitter lip iron ons, and some heart ones too. I was pretty dang excited about those!



Some Random things. A skein of embroidery floss, an iron on applique hat, a bit of leather, belt buckle, and some connector things (that are mysterious to me. I'll have to figure out what they are.)




A pile of black thin elastic - about 3 or 4 metres of the stuff! and some hearted white elastic that look like they are for underwear.




Ribbon! 6 spools of the crafty type ribbon, a big spool of brown glittery ribbon, and all these packs of ribbon flowers!!!



About 2 meters of THIS STUFF. I think it is supposed to be for furniture. The stuff that dangles from chairs or curtains. It's thick and heavy. All I see, however, is doll hair.


I'm sad to see Fabricland go. Although I find most of my crafting supplies thrifted or scavenged (or have them gifted to me!) sometimes you just need a THING to finish a project. I'm hoping that having no more Fabricland in our town isn't going to make me an even BIGGER crafting pack-rat. Because, you know, you never know when you're going to NEED something and not be able to find it locally!!!

I"m going to need a big metal storage bin outside soon.

1 comment:

Andrea L. Cole said...

I'm sad to see them close down, even though I didn't buy much, since I've still not quite gotten over my fear of sewing. It saddens me because it's another sign of the economic depression this area can't seem to snap out of.

The *only* good thing I can see coming out of this is that it opens up a niche market that may be nicely filled by a local upstart should someone be looking for a new business to start.