Sunday, February 17, 2013

This Seasons First Sowing - yes, In February

Tonight was very exciting in my gardening world!

I planted Isis Candy Tomatoes,Organic Red Burbank Tomatoes, Galilee Spinach, Mesclun Mix, Prizehead Lettuce, Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch Organic Kale and Organic Five Colour Silverbeet Swiss Chard. (not 100% the chard will work, as it is a beet... but here's hoping we get some greens from it. When I planted it I was ONLY thinking about the greens!)

It is February 17th.

I can do this, because my Tower Garden is all set up and ready to go. I am super excited about taking CONTROL over what we eat in winter months, before the garden is ready.

I have to tell you, I walk by lettuces and a lot of fruit and veggies in the produce aisle. Because they are shipped in from far far away, and have lost so much nutrients on the way. Most likely they have been sprayed with toxic gook. What is the point of eating that if it's really got very little that is GOOD for me and the kids in them? So, we eat a lot of "Made in Canada" Frozen veg. It gets very very boring after some time.

I saw the Garden Tower in action a few weeks ago. Tasted some of the greens that were growing on it. And when I found out that the company itself does LOW monthly payments without interest, I was sold. Plus, it had the seal of approval from my organic-gardening girlfriend.

My seeds have all arrived from The Cottage Gardener, so I have been busting at the seams to get started. 

In a few weeks I'll have seedlings that are ready for the tower. And a few weeks after that, I am going to eat LETTUCE. Grown in my own kitchen.

I cannot even tell you how excited I am. It's simple, I know. But It feels really good to provide organic, locally grown food for my kids and I, picked JUST before enjoying.



I'm getting antsy for planting some seedings to get into my outdoor garden... but it's too early for that yet. I think another month before I'll be able to put seeds in pots indoors, under my growing lights!

Grow Healthy and Organic food in your home.

Update! My seedlings - March 1st
 

Happy Family Day!

No comments: