Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gimme Gimme Dirt! 2011 Disco Remix

I am so ridiculously excited for this years garden. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because the Universe decided I was taking a break, and my busy busy mind needs SOMETHING.

So, my seeds all came in and I divied them out to those who wanted a share. Leaving me with lots. I'm good with that, as The Cottage Gardener seeds seem to last forever and ever. (See the seed post here.)

In addition to all of those, I got some extra surprises in a "container gardening" pack I purchased. So, there's also Small Sugar Pea's, Burbank Tomatoes, A Mesclun Mix, and Little Finger Eggplant to get in there. As well as some more Columbines and Morning Glories from a seed swap.

I had to purchase a few other trays. The ones I have are buried in snow (although the pixies were good enough to dig around out there and recover one.)

I purchased only one tray with cells, two trays with only the clear lids, and 2 trays without a lid. I'm going to quickly run out of room on the top of the fridge, but with the plan of attack, hopefully some of those trays will be able to sun out in the driveway.

Because I know the 5 boxes in the back and the plot on the side yard won't be big enough for all that I've got this year, I'm collecting containers. These baskets came courtesy of the Sally Ann.



Not all of them have plastic already in them, so I'll just line them with bags and poke some drainage holes in the bottom.

However, if I can get my hands on some more milk crates, those would be awesome. I'm putting my Little Finger carrots in containers this year, as well as the radishes and a whole slew of other stuff, so I'm gonna need a bunch!

So, today I started a garden journal to keep it all straight in my head. A nice way to pass the latter half of the afternoon. I made a map of the yard, pencilled in what was going to go where, what was moving, and what stays put. There's lots to do, but I've broken it down week by week in terms of planting, moving bushes, mulching, etc.. so it's feeling very very managable.

The journal will also be helpful to keep track of if I'm breaking even. Last year I managed to, even with purchasing the soil, seeds, seedling cells and wood for starting up. (See "Soul and The Last Harvest)

Although last year my step-dad and I shovelled the soil from the transfer station ourselves. This year, I think I might have to have it delivered. However, with so much more being grown, after the weigh in, I'm still hoping to break even.

That's what I'm telling myself now. Until I need to figure out where all the extra soil is coming from for all those pots. And how much will it really end up costing me? The composter is full, and hopefully by spring will all be ready to disperse in the boxes and the garden plot...

I'll be buying some extra dollar store hand tools for the pixies this year, too, though. hehe.

Oh, have I mentioned that I want to get some worms again for vermi composting?

I'm really really excited about hands-in-the-dirt this year.

L.

No comments: